Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Hi Ho, Hi Ho, It's Off To Work.....

Hey folks,

I’m glad you got to see the inside of LuLu in Margo’s post. She’s done a fantastic job of making this travel trailer a true full-time home. It’s more than just making it look pretty. She has unique challenges that people who live in a house do not have to deal with. Not only does she have to find a place for all our stuff she also has to make it easily accessible but out of the way at the same time. It also has to be safe while going down the road. Now you see why I only had one plastic fork when it was just me here by myself. She’ll be putting together a post soon on all the behind the scenes details; how she organizes things inside the closets, cabinets and other storage ideas she’s come up with. She’ll talk about her gadgets and even how we deal with two dogs underfoot. All good stuff so click that button on the right and sign up for e-mail notification. I’ll still send out an e-mail but this way you’re sure to get every post. We’re fixin’ to get going soon. Her gig at the bank is up in June so we’ll be shoving off then and posting often about our adventures.

Now none of this is going to happen without me working. I certainly can’t retire at this point. As I’ve shown in earlier posts I have the green screen pet photography business but that’s only part-time. For those of you who don’t know, I work full-time as a medical transcriptionist. I type medical reports 8 hours a day, 5 days a week. I’ve worked from home for 15 years. The only difference now is the view out the window changes and as long as this Internet thing remains popular I’ll be able to continue earning a living from the road.

The mechanics of this are simple. As you can see the living room converts into an office quite easily. I have a really comfortable chair, a large monitor connected to a laptop and an old bullet proof IBM keyboard. This thing has buckle springs under the keys and weighs about as much as a good size bass. You can get one here http://www.pckeyboard.com/. It sits on a simple folding TV tray. Not attractive but lightweight and very functional. For connecting to the Internet I use a Verizon MiFi which I’ve talked about in an earlier post. With a hot cup of coffee on my left I’m in business.

IMGP4141IMGP4140r

During my work day I only take up about one third of the living room. Margo and the dogs have run of the rest of LuLu. At the end of the day the chair goes out the door and gets covered, the folding table gets put away and everything else stores in an overhead bin. It takes about 2 minutes to take things down. Not bad compared to the average person’s commute.

Lastly, to some it would appear claustrophobic, not to mention a bit crazy, to sit in a trailer all day and work but actually my office here seems larger than when I was set up in my house. The photos may not show this but the panoramic windows give the feeling of being in a much larger space. On nice days I can even go out to the picnic table and work.

Till next time.

2 comments:

  1. looks pretty effcient!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey , Looks like you guys are doing pretty well. Let us know when and if you come through Albuquerque NM we will take you to dinner and show you the sights. I don't miss Ocala, and the humid heat at all.

    ReplyDelete