Saturday, June 22, 2013

Georgia On My Mind

Hello everyone......Margo here.

Our first two weeks here in Georgia have included some of my favorite things...fireflies, fountains, hot air balloons, rainbows and Lavender Lemonade.  We have been treated to a firefly show every night since we arrived. I'm  sure  there are fireflies in Florida but I rarely saw them there.  A simple pleasure I know but that's my mind set now...simplify.

DSCN0842I'm enjoying my retirement but there's still "work" for me to do.  I've made a good start on long overdue projects like digitizing my photos and finally getting to those books I've been wanting to read.  Pepper and Shiloh love it that I'm here all day with them and we take long walks around the lake after we get Kevin off to work.  One particular morning we were surprised to see this sight!  Somehow I don't think  a near dunk in the lake was part of the flight plan...

Summertime has definitely arrived here with heat, humidity and afternoon thunderstorms.  On a recent trip to Publix,  just after a rainstorm, I happened to look up at the right moment and there was a beautiful double rainbow...awesome! Sorry, no pic...

DSCN0859We're leaving in the morning (Sunday) for  Kevin's first assignment. It's not far, just up the road to Dalton, Georgia. We'll actually be staying closer to Chattanooga as there are better RV park options up that way for us.  We've enjoyed our stay here at Twin Lakes RV Park and would recommend it and return  here if need be, especially now that they've added a fountain for everyone to enjoy day AND night. It's lit at sunset and is so pretty to look at.

With the official arrival of Summer on June 21, I got inspired to make a pitcher of my  Lavender Lemonade.  Here's the recipe--it is delicious!

LAVENDER LEMONADE        Makes 6 servings
    DSCN0852
  • 5 cups water, divided use

  • 3 Tbls dried culinary lavender

  • 1 cup sugar, or more to taste

  • 1 cup fresh lemon juice, or more to taste (approx. 6 lemons)

  • Fresh lavender stems or lemon slices, as garnish

Bring 1 cup water to boil in a medium sauce pan.  Combine boiling water and lavender in a medium bowl.  Cover and steep for 10 minutes.  Strain lavender water through a fine sieve or coffee filter into a bowl and discard lavender.

In a medium saucepan combine 4 cups water and the sugar to make a simple sugar syrup.  Bring the mixture to a boil and cook 1 minute or until sugar is dissolved.

In a pitcher, combine the lavender water, sugar syrup and fresh lemon juice.  Cover and chill.  Serve over ice.  Garnish lemonade with lavender stems or lemon slices if desired.

Hope this finds you all  well and looking forward to experiencing some of YOUR favorite things this summer.

In-Joy!

Margo

3 comments:

  1. Very nice post, Margo! Enjoy the Chattanooga area...lots to see & do there, I'm sure. Wish Kevin luck with his first assignment for us. Miss you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love the sugra candy sticks - a really nice touch, is Kevin freaking out because of this lavish display lol! flowers are also awesome, did you pick in the park? I will ttyl love you much.

    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  3. I meant "sugar". my eyes are old

    ReplyDelete