Sunday, December 22, 2013

Christmas in Dixie


Hello everyone. Margo here.

Christmas finds us still in Nashville. Today is the official start of winter but we have been battening down the hatches. We are expecting some bad weather—lots of rain and potential for tornadoes--due to a weather system coming through. We will keep the weather radio tuned in for sure.

Stormy weather brewing....
Storm brewing

We took cover in the campground shelter when this came through.  Tornado warning was sounded.
We took cover in the campground shelter when this came through. Tornado warning was sounded.






While it is rather balmy and unseasonably warm as I write this, I have been busy bringing a little " Christmas cheer"into our little LuLu home.
DSCN1682
I had Kevin get the holiday bin out of the “storage shed” ( Hank's cargo bed) and proceeded to decorate away! In the past it would have taken me days and days to accomplish that but I had it all done, start to finish, in about 30 minutes...more time to enjoy another glass of eggnog I say.



...the stockings were hung with care

DSCN1681



...with visions of sugared Milk-Bones dancing in their heads
...with visions of sugared Milk-Bones dancing in their heads

DSCN1680



...in hopes that St. Nicholas soon would be there
in hopes that St. Nicholas soon would be there

DSCN1684



New LED  "accent lighting"
New LED "accent lighting"


Earlier in the week when it was cold and dreary outside, I thought I should warm things up inside by doing a little baking. So in the spirit of making merry, I fired up LuLu's "Easy Bake Oven" ( just kidding, it’s almost full-sized), put on some Christmas carols, tied the apron on and proceeded to measure, mix, chop and pour. I made several dozen Oatmeal Raisin cookies and Peanut Butter Blossom cookies, as well as my mom's Cranberry Orange Bread. I have to say it was  challenging with such limited counter space but the end result was worth the effort. Even though  Kevin wanted  to keep all the cookies for himself, I thought he should take some to share with the guys at work. He told me it was like throwing a handful of corn out to a barnyard full of chickens.  I think the lure of homemade cookies might have had something to do with the extra quick response by the crew when Kevin found some hazardous leaks too.

My workspace
My workspace


DSCN1651

Cranberry Orange loaves cooling under "The Tree"
Cranberry Orange loaves cooling under "The Tree"


DSCN1656 DSCN1701

The cookie monsters

I did finish the monk's cloth afghan I was making for Kevin--just in time for Christmas. I really enjoyed making it and will start on another one soon, this one will be for me.


Monk's cloth afghan - Kevin's Christmas gift - Shhhh....
Monk's cloth afghan - Kevin's Christmas gift - Shhhh....
It is 72°  right now which is more like a Florida Christmas than what you might expect to find in Tennessee at this time of year.  We have had some roller coaster winter type weather though. Earlier in the week it was 18° and icy.  We are managing to stay warm with extra sweaters, scarves and jackets and I have to say I am enjoying the colder temperatures...just seems more like holiday weather to me.

DSCN1616 DSCN1624 DSCN1618 DSCN1628

Kevin and I hope all of you will be making happy Christmas memories with family and friends and I’ll close this post with a little help from one of Nashville’s favorite groups, Alabama….


“By now in New York City, there's snow on the ground

 And out in California, the sunshine's falling down
And, maybe down in Memphis, Graceland's all in lights
And in Atlanta, Georgia, there's peace on earth tonight

Christmas in Dixie, it's snowin' in the pines
Merry Christmas from Dixie, to everyone tonight

It's windy in Chicago the kids are out of school
There's magic in Motown the city's on the move
In Jackson, Mississippi, to Charlotte, Caroline
And all across the nation, it's the peaceful Christmas time

And from Nashville,Tennessee
God bless y'all, we love ya
Happy New Year, good night
Merry Christmas, Merry Christmas tonight

In-Joy,

Margo

3 comments:

  1. Loved your post, Margo! LuLu looks great all decked out for Christmas and the afghan is just beautiful. We miss you guys and wish you a very Merry Christmas & Happy New Year!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Margo, Merry Christmas to you and Kevin.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bake,,,cookies,,,you bake - where is mine? Been watching the weather as it rolls over your heads every few days, Roller Coasater is right - personally I blame Carol for the weather that has been plagued the rest of the country, she keeps trying to use her powers to cool it off here and takes out the rest of the country in doing so,,,,and all to no avail, it's been in the mid-80's and record breaking highs the last few days. Wish we could have gotten away, as much as I love the sun, and gone north to visit with you guys for a few days, maybe have driven into the mountains and saw some snow. Stay warm, home to visit when we can. Ron S

    ReplyDelete