Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Puffin' and Pickin'

I felt everyone needed a two for one - buy one get one – a freebie - so I wrestled the laptop from Margo and decided to send up another post this week.  That and it’s Christmas break and I have a lot of time on my hands – which brings me to the topic of today.

I quit smoking 7 years ago.  Not on the first try, far from it.  Over the years I tried many times just to fail miserably.  Sometimes I made it a few months and sometimes only a few hours.  On that day 7 years ago I told myself that if I wasn’t going to do it that time it wasn’t going to be done and so far so good.

I’ve had the same relationship with the guitar. I started to teach myself many times only to quit and put it down.  Sometimes to collect dust for a few months  and sometimes a few years.  It’s not like I’ve aspired to be a rock star though.  I just want to be able to strum a few Buffett tunes while sitting Indian style by the campfire.  Well, I can’t sit that way anymore without a painfully protracted process to extricate myself but at least I can attempt again the six string and maybe learn a few chords.

Now think about this for a moment.  We live in an Airstream.  It’s been particularly cold outside of late, even too cold for campfires.  Poor Margo is subjected to my practicing which at this point consists of buzzing strings and my very poor rendition of “He’s A Jolly Good Fellow” (I’ve only made it to the third string in my book).  Since I don’t have a natural talent for making music it’s going to be a long haul but haul I must because again, if I don’t do it now I never will.

Broad Street, Nashville
Broad Street
Besides, living here in Nashville has inspired me. The honky-tonks on Broad Street.  The Gibson Guitar factory I drive by almost every day on the way to the gas company.  I have a co-worker who is a musician and jams with his friends.  I mean really...  I gotta do this.  I'm thinking that one day I'll be ready for the Airstream guitar but for now I'm going to stick with my el cheapo acoustic and hopefully soon won't sound like a pair of cats in a pillowcase.
Photo courtesy of "The Man in the Maze" Link to the right in my blogroll.  All Airstream goodness - give it a read.
Photo snagged from "The Man in the Maze" blog - all things Airstream  http://airstreamlife.com/maze/

No comments:

Post a Comment