Saturday, June 7, 2014

Bike Salt Lake



Hey Folks,

As you all know, Margo and I like to ride our bikes.  If you DIDN’T know that, well – we like to ride our bikes.  I'm a little more intense about it than she is.  I love the simplicity of getting from place to place by pedaling there or experiencing a wooded trail with the wind in my face.  I’ve never been one to dream of a 13 pound titanium road bike with weight saving water bottle cages or a full suspension mountain bike with custom fit frame.  My aluminum GT mountain bike has served me well for over 12 years.  It looks like it’s been through a wreck or two because it has.  The drive-train components have been replaced a few times after being ripped off by various branches and rocks over the years.  It feels like an old pair of shoes and I’d have a hard time replacing it. 

But to experience a good ride you have to have a place to ride.  In the woods or an urban environment it all comes down to what the real estate agent always says, location, location, location.  Florida with it’s swampy wooded trails YES!  But don’t even think about riding anywhere there is traffic.  Chattanooga and Nashville have some nice bike trails both wooded and urban but again you won’t find bike lanes to provide a safe commute.  Back in September 2013 I posted about biking in Nashville (I’ll link it at the bottom of this post).  Metro Williamsburg/Norfolk/Virginia Beach – leave it in the shed. 

Salt Lake on the other hand is all about the bike.  With the nearby mountains there are hundreds of miles of off road trails.  Many of those are way over the head of my little GT but many I can happily traverse.  However, it’s the urban riding that is most interesting.  The city encourages bike riding.  They promote it on electronic road signs.  There’s even a division of the road department solely dedicated to the bike – with accompanying web site even - “Bike Salt Lake” (I’ll link that one at the bottom too).  There are dedicated bike paths that traverse the whole 80 mile Ogden –Salt Lake – Provo corridor.  Rails to trails conversions utilizing old railroad right of ways are paved and car free.  All the major roads have bike lanes – not little bitty lanes no – most are wide enough for side by side riding and my favorite “bikes may use full lane”. 

Because of this you can get anywhere safely and efficiently.  Couple that with the TRAX in-town electric train and buses that all happily invite you and your bike aboard it’s a wonder anyone has a car around here.  They do though because that’s what our culture demands.  I do my part in burning up a good share of fossil fuels as well so I’m just as guilty but on a Saturday morning it’s me and my GT.  Take a ride with me and I’ll show you a bit of downtown SLC.  We won’t kill any dinosaurs but will use that whole bike lane.  

Bikes rule in SLC.  Take a whole lane if you like.





The best Mexican food I've ever had - hands down.  The Red Iguana.  As featured on the Food Network show Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives with Guy Fieri.







Temple

Conference Center



The sea gull is a cherished figure

The house that Brigham Young built

TRAX train. 

Rail history restored

Bike racks and gas meters are everywhere.  Both a good thing for me. That's my trusty GT on the left. 

Sunset over the valley




I've only scratched the surface of things to see here.  Salt Lake is a huge place with lots to explore.  We also have some more adventures coming up soon that we'll be taking you on.  The local gas company we are working for has asked for someone to take care of a one week gas survey in Price, UT (pop 8200) in the southeastern part of the state.  They offered it to me and I grabbed it.  We'll be taking LuLu along and will stay at a nearby state park.  The campground is called "Mountain View" so that sounds promising.  Even better, my youngest daughter is flying out to visit in early July and we plan to head south to Zion National Park for a little vacation time and roadrunner searching so stay tuned.  

Here are the links I mentioned earlier. 

My post about biking in Nashville is here.

Bike Salt Lake website is here

5 comments:

  1. I plan to take a road runner home with me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES!! Beep Beep. We gunna see us some road runners.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice "tour"of SLC Honey. Maybe I"ll join you next time :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks beautiful! How's the weather there?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Margo - are you with Kevin? Funny how you commented on the blog. It all looks fantastic. Great that Jenna is coming for a visit. The Red Iguana looks awesome. Have you found a favorite pancake place yet? Get on that bike Margo and explore, what better way to see a city.

    ReplyDelete